JD Welsh Cup

25th September 2021

12:45 pm

Ynys Park Port Talbot

From the moment the JD Welsh Cup draw was made everyone at the club knew we had a big tie on our hands. Not only would back-to-back Welsh Premier League Champions Connah’s Quay Nomads be visiting the Ynys Park, but the game would also be broadcast live on S4C’s Sgorio. 

The club’s form was not good heading into the contest, with a number of league and cup defeats in recent weeks. The untold story is the injury list at the club and for today’s tie Richie Ryan and his management team had close to a full squad to select from for the first time in over a month. Our visitors entered the tie on the back of some indifferent form, however, one look at the Connah’s Quay Nomads squad, packed with bags of football league experience, and a manager of the quality of Andy Morrison, meant the match was always going to be one of the toughest competitive tests in Trefelin BGC short history.

The game kicked off at a sunny Ynys Park with both sides looking to take control and stamp their style of play onto the game. It was the away side that took early control of proceedings with their direct style of play restricting the home side to rare opportunities on the break.

Following a series of corners the first big chance of the game fell to the away side but a shot from close range flew over the bar.

The Nomads took the lead in the 10th minute with a great strike from number 10 Jamie Insall following a break by Trefelin which broke down close to the Nomads box.

The visitors continued to dominate for the remainder of the first half with only a great save from home keeper Keenan Bailey keeping the game at 1-0. 

Trefelin were forced to make a substitution in the 40th minute when a nasty clash between players saw Callum Jones leave the field with a head injury being replace by the experienced Ben Thomas.

Half time Trefelin BGC 0 – 1 Connah’s Quay Nomads

The home side started the second half strongly with great work from Damon Thomas leading to a foul in a dangerous position and the resulting free kick saw Sean Hanbury work the away keeper for the first time in the match.

Although starting the second half on the back foot, The Nomads doubled their lead in the 53rd minute when a strong challenge on the Trefelin keeper which was not deemed a foul led to a tap in for Arnaldo Mendes Fernandes.

Second substitution for the home side in the 65th minute saw Trefelin number 7 Jamie Latham replaced by Michael Waters.

Any hope of a major cup upset was extinguished in the 66th minute  when the away side added a third goal via a fantastic curled finished from Declan Poole.

The final substitution for the home side took place in the 70th minute with Jordan Davies replacing Darius Waters.

The Nomads scored their 4th from a well worked corner in the 71st minute of the game with Jamie Insall getting his second of the game as the home side tired against their Premier league opponents.

The away side continued to press in front of the Sgorio cameras for the remainder of the game, with Trefelin limited to showing only glimpses of their attractive style of football.

A final flourish from the home side saw Trefelin go close in the dying stages of the game as a cross from Damon Thomas was cleared off the line before Sean Hanbury could tap in.

The game finished with the visitors running out comfortable 0-4 winners and progressing to the next round of the JD Welsh Cup. Trefelin BGC now head into a tough JD Cymru South fixture against Cambrian and Clydach Vale next week on the back of a battling performance against the Premier League champions.

Everyone at the club enjoyed their first taste of a live TV broadcast at the Ynys Park and can be proud of the players, management team and volunteers who made the day a fantastic occasion. A special thanks to all the team at Sgorio who were a pleasure to work with. Finally a big thanks to our opponents Connah’s Quay Nomads who showed their qualities as a club both on and off the pitch.

photos by Nikita Mesney, NCM Media