May 9th sees the start of Mental Health Awareness week and following the recent Football Association of Wales video on the work of the club on this important subject, we as a club would like to share more details on our work to date and plans for the future.
In essence, Trefelin BGC are committed to being at the forefront of breaking down the barriers and stigmas surrounding mental health in sport and the community.
To date the following milestones have been reached.
- A Mental Health Awareness Talk was delivered at the Ynys Park, attended by club volunteers and junior and senior football managers.
- Trefelin BGC’s Mental Health Officer, Martyn Wagstaff has delivered a number of Mental Health Awareness talks at local clubs building partnerships and skills within the community.
- 20 Trefelin BGC club members have completed Mental Health Awareness training, which was supported by the FAW with Chief Executive Noel Mooney in attendance.
- Trefelin BGC used their 1st teams home game in the JD Cymru League South Division versus Goytre United AFC as the clubs first Mental Health Awareness match. The match was sponsored by DW Harris & Company Solicitors and attended by Mental Health Charities who were available for spectators to meet with and seek advice.
- An article on Mental Health Awareness and the work of Martyn and Trefelin BGC was published in this years JD Welsh Cup Final programme.
- Martyn works on a weekly basis to promote better mental health in the club speaking to players committee staff and members of the community.
Trefelin BGC are 100% behind the work of Martyn and plan to build on the achievements to date moving forward. We plan to deliver further events for players, club members and the local community, and further Mental Health Awareness talks will be offered to more local sports clubs over the coming year.
Trefelin BGC like to thank everyone who has supported our initiatives through the year and hopefully will continue to do so as we strive to keep breaking down the barriers and raise awareness of this vital topic.
Photos by Perry Dobbins @PerryDobbins1